This Day in History: 1484-07-28

On 28th July 1484, whilst staying at Pontefract Castle between the 23rd and the 29th of that month, Richard III granted a charter to the borough under the seal of the Duchy of Lancaster. The government of the town was vested in thirteen comburgesses chosen for life from among ‘the more creditable sort of men’ who annually were to elect one of their number as mayor. The original comburgesses were elected at Michaelmas (29th September) 1484.