This Day in History: 1645-06-10

The Parliamentarians began another work on 10th June 1645 in a close near Baghill, called Moody’s Close. This was designed to check theĀ  Royalist garrison and prevent any relief being afforded. They began another work nearer Swillington Tower but the fire of the besieged compelled them to flee to their other works. The besiegers also received a reinforcement of eight troops of horse from Doncaster. These drew up in a body at Carleton, one troop marched to South Hardwick, another came from Darrington and marched into the town and a third came from Ferrybridge and marched into the Park.